Monday, July 28, 2008

Firsts

This weekend had been a fun one for me :)

For the first time in my life, I ate durians! I even sent a mass email to my best buddies, asking them if they wanted to see me eat durians for the first time. My maiden voyage, so to speak. Well, don't ask me why I didn't eat durians before. I seriously don't mind the smell (it's quite nice-smelling) but I just didn't eat it before today.

Perhaps I've been passing by some durian stalls on my way to work. Perhaps it's the durian seasons. Perhaps I've seen those pictures of these spiky crowns of the king of fruits posted on huatopedia that got me interested in trying.

No, not this 'durian':



It's this one:




I've also tried eating mangosteens for the first time in my life! Swa-ku hor? I find durians manageable. I don't like it and don't mind eat it. But after eating a total of 5 seeds for the past 2 days, I think I've got enough durian poisoning in me to last me 1 full year! Someone suggested to me durian puffs, which is nicer and not so strong compared to durians. Perhaps next time?




Mangosteens, on the other hand, taste much nicer. A little like oranges, with a sour-ry after taste. I love it! My gf even taught me how to 'open' a mangosteen :) Eating the king of fruits and the queen of fruits together makes the king a little easier to manage :)

This year marks many firsts for me:

1. First time I tracked my personal income and expenses in detail

2. First time I switched my diet to mainly vegetarian

3. First time I'm the only one requesting for vegetarian course for wedding dinner. My portions will be served separately - it's really cool, everyone should try it once!

4. First time I ate durians

5. First time I ate mangosteens

6. First time I read so many books!!

When is the last time you did something for the first time?

7 comments :

Anonymous said...

OMG .. 1st time having durian?!!! I'm surprised

1st time me not having durian (for this year) LOLz
I tried to become part-time vegetarian last year, wasn't too successful but at least I'm having less meat now. I believe it's healthier ;)

la papillion said...

Durio,

Haha, I'm one such singaporean who didn't eat durians :)

Yes yes, eat less meat (or at least eat more white meat like fish). Important to eat more veg too :)

PanzerGrenadier said...

First for me in 2008.

Birth of my daughter. :-)

Be well and prosper.

la papillion said...

PG,

Haha, so little PG was born in 2008 :) Intending to have the 2nd or 3rd? hoho

PanzerGrenadier said...

Hi La Papillion

Yes, little PG was born this year... All of 4.5 mths old... Not easy to please...hahahha

1 is enough (for now). Have not had a good night's sleep for the last 3 mths plus after the confinement nanny went back...hahhah

PanzerGrenadier said...

Hi La Papillion

I am having a blog carnival over the national day weekend and would like to ask some of the thefinance.sg bloggers on their thoughts on this:

"What is the single most important lesson you learnt in personal finance?"

Would be great if you could drop me an email on this via rod.loh at gmail.com

I will credit all contributions back to your blog during the carnival which will be from 8 to 10 August (to straddle National Day weekend)!

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Be well and prosper.

la papillion said...

Hi PG,

Haha, baby PG is a pisces :)

Sure, i'll drop an email to you.