Thursday, December 01, 2011

The joys of working from home

As I was starting work in my new flat, I realized that there's a few things that I liked about this arrangement. As I was slacking now after my student left, I realized how fortunate I am to be able to finish work and still be at home. I cherish this feeling and felt an immediate sense of satisfaction. On reflection, I think that working home allows me to :



a. Multitask things with regards to my personal and work life. For example, I could be in between doing household chores and having tuition at the same time. Of course I don't do it while teaching, but I do it during the lull moments like when the student is doing work. These kind of stuff are important to me as a time saver because in the past, I had to work outside and come home and settle my personal stuff. In the future, I would even be cooking lunch/dinner while working. That is something that most people would not be able to experience.







b. Since I'm at home, I can start using some stuff that are useful teaching aids. For example, during today's lessons, I was showing a student about how sounds waves though invisible can actually be felt. My desktop and my big subwoofer is just in the room, so I popped over and asked her to bring a piece of paper to place is near the subwoofer while I played a sound with a good beat to it. The paper became vibrating and I began linking that to the lessons itself. I think such interactive learning cannot be done in the student's place, because I cannot possibly carry all my stuff with me when I travel. Since I'm now stationary and fixed in one location, I can truly add another dimension to the lessons.



c. I feel more energised because usually it's the travelling and walking that tires me out. With that out of the picture, I can have more time of my own and that alone is priceless. I can free up the travelling time in between locations (usually takes up to 1-2 hr per day for a fully booked day). I can nap, I can settle my household stuff, I can prepare lessons, I can play games....infinite combinations with one single result - it's making me a very very satisfied and happy man. I wonder why I didn't do this sooner!



The answer to the question whether the expensive resale and expensive renovation is worth it or not, should be obvious to me by now. A resounding yes. It's one of the best thing that can happen to me in 2011.

10 comments :

AK71 said...

Body huat! Spirit huat! Wallet huat huat (in time to come)! :D

Singapore Man of Leisure said...

Now don't you dare hermit yourself up all day in your HDB!

Wait you become white chicken...

Must go out into the sun and jalan jalan.

If your neighbourhood got "Dangerous Housewives", I so very de envious!

Remember the army rule: Can do anything you want; don't get caught. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Hi LP,
Quote:
"Where ever you wander, where ever you roam, be happy and healthy and glad to come home".

Of course, there is no place like "HOME SWEET HOME" Definitely worth every cents and effort to build up a place you can call "HOME". Err.. sorry i mean your castle.

Cheers & Merry Christmas!

Patrick T. said...

*dons motley*

I TOLD YOU SO!

PanzerGrenadier said...

Hi LP

I walk to work so understand how it is a big time saver to reduce commuting time to workplace.

Be well and prosper :-)

la papillion said...

Hi AK,

Haha, I hope so! I go out less and spend less too :)

Hi SMOL,

Alamak :) I'm quite tanned, it's good that I become less so :) Don't let my wife see this!

Hi temperament,

Merry xmas to you too! Indeed, having a castle of my own, is highly satisfying. I'm feeling quite happy these day, most likely due to this :)

la papillion said...

Hi pat,

Neahahaha :)

Hi PG,

Ya, it takes out a big chunk of my time that I could have spent earning or resting. It also drains my energy, especially if I have 4-5 classes. So far, I'm glad that I don't have to do this, but I suspect that in the future, I'll look back and think that it might not be such a bad idea strolling from one place to another place to view the scenery. Ah...all through the lens of nostalgia...

pinkfrizz said...

Hi LP, very inspiring post! That's been on my cards for some time too, until I get my own home :D Just wondering, do you advertise your tutoring services anywhere or is it solely through word of mouth?

la papillion said...

Hi pinkfrizz,

My name is floating somewhere in the internet. It's the effect of the seed that I've sown in the past when I first started out. There are some parents who called me by looking for me through the internet. But mostly, it's through referrals these days. I'll say 90% is through referrals.

But if you're starting out, getting the services of a tuition agency is not a bad idea. I just don't like that my pay is 50% given to them, but I guess it's alright if you just started out :)

Jana hassan said...

I will forever be indebted to the great Doctor AKHIGBE for fixing my broken marriage after my husband left me for 6 months. I never believed in spells until my close friend introduced me to him. At first, I was skeptical about him because I heard a lots about false spell casters but I put my doubts behind me for i was desperate to get my husband back and I did according to what he instructed me to do. Now my husband is back just within 48 hours of contacting him. I'm living happily with my husband again after 6 months of divorce and I will not rest till he's known all over the world. He's also specialize in sickness spells. Get connected with Doctor AKHIGBE now, his email is drakhigbespellhome7@gmail.com or WhatsApp on +2349021374574 and I said I must let any email I see on net must know about this because am very happy .