Saturday, January 13, 2018

Reflection of my Bangkok trip 2018

Me and my wife went to Bangkok for a short trip, but without our baby boy. It was a break away from him and really a morale booster after not having gone for a trip for almost 2 years. It wasn't the first time we're in Bangkok and a few thing have changed.

Firstly, we went to a pretty good hotel that costs more than usual. The hotel is located right at Central world, so for the first time in so many trips, we didn't have to take any cabs at all. It's either walk or just take a train if the distance is too far. That was quite different because in the past, we would take a more budget hotel and take cab all the way because the location is usually more far off. So instead of a cheap hotel and spending time, energy and money moving around, we opted for an expensive hotel but saves effort and money moving around minimally.

Half panoramic view from the hotel room 

Secondly, we met a friend there. It's Derek, the blogmaster of TheFinance.sg and his wife. It was one of the rare times we met any friends overseas, so that was a very good experience for me. We went to our hotel's roof top bar to have a drink and see the world and soak in the atmosphere. Usually we won't go to such places, and we're glad to play host to our friends, meeting in a foreign land and seeing familiar faces.

View from the hotel's rooftop bar

Thirdly, we went there as a couple many times, and this is the first time we went as a parent. I kept thinking and missing our baby boy. Thankfully we arranged for video call with my mum periodically, who is taking care of our boy. I didn't know I can miss someone so much. I am literally scrolling through past photos and sharing with my wife. That's an aspect that I didn't expect from myself.

These three things alone makes this trip slightly different and special. That's the external things. Internally, I feel that the whole trip makes me realise what the important things are in my life. While we are living the high life in Bangkok eating restaurants in almost every other meals, I thought to myself that I would not want to live such a life if my wife isn't around with me. Removing my wife from the context would make me miserable. Removing the high life context from me and my wife is very okay. So having my wife around me is very important to me, much more important the tour. Touring around with my wife is the point, and must not be mistaken for touring overseas. Next, we spent most of our time shopping, eating and resting. It feels shiok for the first few days, but after a while, it too became pointless. Why? We're missing our baby boy, so that's a new experience for me. There's only so much tom yum gong we can eat, so much thai milk tea to drink and so much goods to buy. Everything else is just bland after a while.


This is how my boy feels on the second day after he realised his parents are not around

I'm not sure why I was feeling like this. It's supposed to be an long anticipated trip, but around the middle of the trip, I wished I am home so that I can hug my baby boy. It's a funny feeling, and it makes me know what is important to me: family.

There are some observations I've made in my trip:
1) People stand on the right for escalator, meaning the 'speeding' lane is on the left. This is quite the opposite here in Singapore. I think sometimes when we take the escalator locally ourselves, we tend to mentally scold the person in front of us for blocking our way. But they could be used to their own way of doing things and blind to the new ways. We have to learn to be more understanding and also to be aware of our blind spots.

2) The car park in shopping malls are not located in basements and are actual stories. It's like in Singapore if we want to go to the carpark, it's usually located in B1, or B2. But in Thailand, it's in story 3 or story 4. It's interesting because perhaps they have too much land over there, so it's easier to build up than to dig down. The cost increases a lot as you go deeper down.

3) I've not been to thailand for 2 years, and suddenly I see a lot more people are into the mobile phone culture. Meaning that they will whip out their phone and stare at it for long periods of time.

4) There is a floor in MBK where there are artists selling copies of artwork and painting. I didn't see it anymore. I guess it had moved along with the times.

5) In big shopping malls, there are plenty of spaces that are under renovation and closed off. It's something like Singapore, where sections of malls are boarded up, with something 'exciting' coming along in the near future. The retail scene in Thailand is like ours too...slowly fading off.

6) Empty stores in Singapore are guarded by pots of money plants. But not over there. So money plant guardians is a local culture.

7) There is plenty of Japanese food over there, but not so much Korean food. In Singapore, it's quite the reverse. Korean food is popping up all over the place. I've not eaten any korean food before, nor wish to try haha

8) There's rarely authentic thai food restaurants, but I think Thai food is mainly street food, and that's where the authentic Thai cuisine are to be found. 

9) Electrical sockets are turned clockwise from our orientation, meaning that the live is on top, neutral at the bottom and earth is on the right. Why is it rotated, I wonder...


Oh, and during the flight, I didn't watch any movies. None feels interesting to me. I listened to some music and kept reading. These are the things that brings me joy. After a few days of eating rich food, I stopped eating so much. I wanted to feel hungry again instead of eating at fixed timing. I also don't have to sit in a plane in order to enjoy some quiet moment with my wife. Sometimes I wonder whether I really do need this trip. Do I really need to go overseas? Actually no, but sometimes we need to go outside to realise what is really inside.

And boy, by disrupting my usual schedule, I've broken out of my usual thinking and re-found myself.

THAT is the true goal of travelling. At least in my definition.

21 comments :

Createwealth8888 said...

You will enjoy once again as couple when your children become independent. :-)

Singapore Man of Leisure said...

LP,

OK, brace yourself! It will be a LONG comment :)


1. Finally we've a "I am willing to pay MORE for comfort and convenience" travel post!

Of course if you both are strggling students travelling on a shoestring, its perfectly OK to stay at cheap hostels and travel with budget airlines. But if you can afford it, SHE is worth it ;)


2. Singaporeans forget outside of the British Commonwealth, countries like Taiwan, China, Japan, most of Europe, and US have the slow lane on the RIGHT, and overtaking is on the LEFT - be it on the road or on escalators. Britain is the "odd" one out. And since we monkey see monkey do Britain, we are "odd" to the rest of the world too ;)


3. As for less basements in Thailand buildings, you may want to figure out why most traditional Thai houses are on supports a few metres off the ground like some of our Malay kampong houses. Although I must agree basements are more expensive to build; culture plays a part too!


4) As for the Thai sockets, just google and you'll see 3 standards - A, B, C. The one you described is for type B. What I like about the Thais is the "sabai sabai" happy can oredi attiude. Next time you stay in another hotel you'll find the orientation can be left, right, or down!? Its really happy can oredi! LOL! (And why the hell 3 standards!?)


5) Eh, you trying to smoke me or what? I've yet to see empty shop spaces "blocked" by money plants in Singapore... Really?


6) You know what? Its been 4 years since I've travelled overseas!? I haven't felt the urge to. Not when I've found so many places in Singapore I've never visited or explored. Its mostly staycations in Singapore for the past few years... But since I decide its time to get out of Singapore to look see look see, off I go next Monday! Back Friday just in time for my weekend gig. Hungry eat; tired rest ;)


7) "And boy, by disrupting my usual schedule, I've broken out of my usual thinking and re-found myself."

Words are superfluous now :)



Anonymous said...

Regarding standing on escalators, it's more to do with most people being right handed & hence the strong arm is supposed to hold onto the moving side grip. Thais also drive on the left just like UK & S'pore :) In fact London probably was one of the 1st cities to institute standing on 1 side of escalators many decades ago ... and they decided on right side for the benefit of the majority.

So the main reason is "safety first".

Singapore is the only city where people think of themselves as cars LOL!

simplefolk said...

2) The car park in shopping malls are not located in basements and are actual stories.
i think it use to flood alot but things have improved since they cleanup the streets & klongs

8) There's rarely authentic thai food restaurants, but I think Thai food is mainly street food, and that's where the authentic Thai cuisine are to be found.
i believe thai restuarant cuisine & street food are each class of their own. imho, both are are delicious & authentic

you are missing out alot of interesting experiences ... food or culture etc ... :)

la papillion said...

Hi bro8888,

Wah, that will be long long time away :)

la papillion said...

Hi SMOL,

1) C'mon man, I've been there done that. I've gone thru the budget travel days and now I just don't really care much about the spending since I don't travel so much anyway. No need to count until like that LOL

2) Thailand is still right hand drive like us though haha

3) but Singapore also kampung mah haha!

4) Wah, okay, next time I must observe..I haven't been there for 2 yrs, can't rmb other parts of Thailand is it the same or not :)

5) Really...you go see Bedok mall, or any other shopping malls with vacant shop spaces. If it's not boarded up, you'll likely see money plant guarding it :)

6) Physically not overseas, but the mind wanders around the world and come back a few rounds already! Like you, I also discovering places in Singapore as a tourist.

7) The last time I had an insight was in Batam. Particularly in a swimming pool in a resort there. That instance of motivation and insight changed a lot of things in me and set me up for years to come. Even now, whenever I am saving x dollars per year, it was in part due to the insight from there. Over time, I found that by changing out usual routine, we will also re-route the way we're thinking, resulting in fresh insight. Very useful :)

la papillion said...

Hi anonymous,

Thanks for weighing on this :) Wah, another theory regarding left/right. Interesting social phenomenon, because it really changes the way we do things. I'm interested in such things where a mere object just changes our thought process.

I wonder whether this mere act of making the fast lane the left lane makes thai pple more creative. If you had seen their ads you should know what I mean lol

la papillion said...

Hi simplefolk,

Haha, I am a really simple folk...but you're right, I probably been to fewer than 4 countries in total in my entire life. I'm a real life mountain tortoise :) But this means that I have the remaining of my life to find out and discover!

SG Physiotherapist said...

Do you remember, we used to stand on the right in Singapore, until a few years ago!

simplefolk said...

>> Haha, I am a really simple folk...but you're right, I probably been to fewer than 4
>> countries in total in my entire life. I'm a real life mountain tortoise :) But this
>> means that I have the remaining of my life to find out and discover!
LOL i don't mean that ... i thought a slight "provocation" may make you switch from "tourists" to "traveler/explorer" mode next time. i guess it not gonna happen :D

la papillion said...

Hi SGPT,

Hmm, now that you mentioned this, I vaguely rmb so! Then there was this movement to stand on the left and let the pple who are in a hurry to go right!

la papillion said...

Hi simplefolk,

Hahaha, I'm not so easily provoked :)

Unknown said...

VICTIM OF SCAMS BUT NOW A VICTOR THROUGH JOSH LOANS FINANCIAL SERVICE joshloancompany@gmail.com OR +1(215)-874-8060

Helen Truong is my name from 1731 Hilltop Haven Drive, Red Bank, NJ 07701 USA. It lifts my heart to actually use this medium to save innocent people who would have fallen into the wrong hands in quest to obtain an online loan. With all humility I want to personally warn all online loan seekers to be very careful while trying to get a loan, because it is no news that scammers are rampant everywhere all over the internet claiming to offer loan. I was a victim before now and I solemnly hope that you are a victor if you care to take my word of advise. Few months ago I was financially strained, and due to my desperation I was scammed by several online lenders. All hope was nearly lost until a co-employee suggested 'JOSH LOANS FINANCIAL SERVICE' an online reliable and trustworthy lender for me, as I was almost at the edge of taking my life considering a loss of about $83,000; As God would have it, I applied for a loan from 'Josh Loans Financial Service' under Cynthia's (co-employee) recommendation and WOW in less than 72 working hours I got a credit alert confirming that my account has been credited with the loan fund of $220,000.00 which i originally requested. If after loosing much God has shown me light with the help of 'JOSH LOANS FINANCIAL SERVICE', you too without doubt can as well obtain a loan from this reputable lending institution. IN ALL, if you, your relation or any closed person desperately need a loan, DO CONTACT or help that soul to communicate with JOSH LOANS FINANCIAL SERVICE via email on joshloancompany@gmail.com OR text/call them on +1(215)-874-8060

flourish loan said...

$$$ GENUINE LOAN WITH 3% INTEREST RATE APPLY NOW$$$
Do you need finance to start up your own business or expand your business, Do you need funds to pay off your debt? We give out loan to interested individuals and company's who are seeking loan with good faith. Are you seriously in need of an urgent loan contact us.
Email:flourishloancredite@gmail.com
LOAN APPLICATION DETAILS.
First Name:
Last Name:
Date Of Birth:
Address:
Sex:
Phone No:
City:
Zip Code:
State:
Country:
Nationality:
Occupation:
Monthly Income:
Loan Amount:
Loan Duration:
Purpose of the loan:
where did you hear about us;
Email:flourishloancredite@gmail.com

Prosper Loans said...

DO NOT KEEP YOUR FINANCIAL BURDEN TO YOURSELF CONTACT US NOW FOR ANY KIND OF LOAN AT A LOW INTEREST OF 2%.( prosperloanfirm@yahoo.com )

Our loans are well insured for maximum security is our priority, Our leading goal is to help you get the service you deserve, Our Loan program is the quickest. We give out loan in any currency of your choice {Us Dollar, pounds, Euro, Dinar, etc} and duration of 1 to 60 years to pay back the loan (secure and unsecured).

Do you need any kind of loan and have low credit score, Have you find it difficult to get loans
from local banks and other financial institutions? solution to your financial problem is PROSPER LOAN FIRM. The terms and conditions are very reasonable and considerate.

We offer a wide range of financial services which includes: Xmas Loans, Business Loans, Debt Consolidation Loans, Personal Loans, Car loans, Hotel loans, Student loans, Home Refinancing Loans with low interest rate @2% per annul for individuals, companies and corporate bodies.

Interested applicants should Contact us via email: prosperloanfirm@yahoo.com
OR call/text +1(816) 366-8769 . Apply and be free from financial bondage.

Unknown said...


Hello !

Do you Need legitimate and quick loan service?

Apply now and get your money urgently!

* Position between 5000 to 50 million
* Choose between 1 to 30 years to repay.
* Flexible loan terms.

All these and more, please contact us.

Full name: ..........
Telephone number:.......
Monthly income: .............
Country ...............................
Loan Purpose ...........
The amount needed .................
Loan Status............
Duration: ...........................

Contact us by email: thompson.loanservice@gmail.com
Management.
Contact the credit Speedy now !

Unknown said...

Good Day Sir/Madam: Do you need an urgent loan to finance your business or in any purpose? We are certified and legitimate and international licensed loan lender we offer loans to Business firms. Individuals, companies firms, corporate bodies at an affordable interest rate of 3%. It might be a short or long term loan or even if you have poor credit. We shall process your loan as soon as we receive your application. We are an independent financial institution. We have built up an excellent reputation over the years in providing various types of loans to thousands of our customers. We offer Educational loan, Business loan, home loan, Agricultural loan, Personal loan, Auto loan with either a good or bad credit history. If you are interested in our above loan offer you are advice to fill the below information and return to us for more details. You can contact us with this email (globalonlinefinance@gmail.com) we shall respond to you as soon as we receive your loan application details below.

First name:
Middle name:
Date of birth (yyyy-mm-dd):
Gender:
Marital status:
Total Amount Needed:
Time Duration:
Address:
Currency Needed
City:
State/province:
Zip/postal code:
Country:
Phone:
Mobile/cellular:
Monthly Income:
Occupation:
Which sites did you know about us.....
( globalonlinefinance@gmail.com )for immediate attention. Contact
us now and get an urgent loan within two (2) days!!!
Regards,
Mr Hameed Youssef

FAST LOAN OFFER whats-App +918929509036 said...

My Brothers and Sister all over the world, I am Mrs Boo Wheat from Canada ; i was in need of loan some month ago. i needed a loan to open my restaurant and bar, when one of my long time business partner introduce me to this good and trustful loan lender DR PURVA PIUS that help me out with a loan, and is interest rate is very low , thank God today. I am now a successful business woman, and I became useful. In the life of others, I now hold a restaurant and bar. And about 30 workers, thank GOD for my life I am leaving well today a happy father with three kids, thanks to you DR PURVA PIUS Now I can take care of my lovely family, i can now pay my bill. I am now the bread winner of my family. If you are look for a trustful and reliable loan leader. You can Email him via,mail (urgentloan22@gmail.com) Please tell him Mrs Boo Wheat from Canada introduce you to him. THANKS

osma said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Ahmad Asnul Brunei, I contacted Mr Osman Loan Firm for a business loan amount of $250,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you can contact Mr Osman Loan Firm via email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

LOAN APPLICATION INFORMATION FORM
First name......
Middle name.....
2) Gender:.........
3) Loan Amount Needed:.........
4) Loan Duration:.........
5) Country:.........
6) Home Address:.........
7) Mobile Number:.........
8) Email address..........
9) Monthly Income:.....................
10) Occupation:...........................
11)Which site did you here about us.....................
Thanks and Best Regards.
Derek Email osmanloanserves@gmail.com


Hello Everybody,
My name is Ahmad Asnul Brunei, I contacted Mr Osman Loan Firm for a business loan amount of $250,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you can contact Mr Osman Loan Firm via email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

LOAN APPLICATION INFORMATION FORM
First name......
Middle name.....
2) Gender:.........
3) Loan Amount Needed:.........
4) Loan Duration:.........
5) Country:.........
6) Home Address:.........
7) Mobile Number:.........
8) Email address..........
9) Monthly Income:.....................
10) Occupation:...........................
11)Which site did you here about us.....................
Thanks and Best Regards.
Derek Email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

If you are in need of urgent loan of any kind then you should apply for a loan from Mr Lavington , you can get various types of loan from him like

Home loan
Business loan
Student loan
Short loan
Medium loan
Long loans e.t.c

He offers loan at interest rate of 2% and with very easy loan conditions, so for you to get your loan today contact lavingtonfinance@yahoo.com or lavingtonfinance@gmail.com
whatsapp +14243655441

Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman
today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our
poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he
gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of
S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids
I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan
of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of
loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs
Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(
urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
2. Telephone Numbers:……….
3. Address and Location:…….
4. Amount in request………..
5. Repayment Period:………..
6. Purpose Of Loan………….
7. country…………………
8. phone…………………..
9. occupation………………
10.age/sex…………………
11.Monthly Income…………..
12.Email……………..

Regards.
Managements
Email Kindly Contact: (urgentloan22@gmail.com)