Tuesday, December 15, 2015

The highlight meeting of the year

I do meet bloggers from time to time, and this is one of the perks of having a blog. No, it's not just about the ad dollars or the good comments you might receive on a post well written. Because if it is about that, then I would have long given up on blogging since there are times I have neither. It's about the little things. And on Monday, I happened to meet up with two bloggers at the same time.


In a good meet up, you never really feel that you've met the person for the first time, because it's like a continuation of a conversation you've had online. It's this kind of relationship that is first established online and then continued off line that I continued blogging. In the past 10 yrs or so of blogging, I've met up many people and some of my best friends that I ever had the fortune of meeting came from this avenue. Forget the ads, those are the cheap thrills. The real juicy part of having a blog is to meet up with more people from different age group and different walks of life.




We chatted over lunch, and continued over coffee, talking about this and that. Before we knew, 6 hours had passed. I think this broke all records of any meet up I ever had. 6 hours! My wife who joined us for lunch but had to leave after that, questioned me this: What can we possibly talk about for 6 hours? I've no idea too. But as we parted ways, I told one of them that this is like meditation. When you're in the flow, you don't even notice time had slipped you by. And for that period of time, you forgot your family, your work and your burdens for a while and just focus on enjoying the good company of each other. Meditation to me is like doing homework. You practice your breathing and your mindfulness so that you can apply it in real life. Meditation is not just sitting in a lotus position with your middle finger and thumb joined together in harmony.


I'm an introvert. It's a funny personality trait especially for a tutor who had to meet many new people every year. My default mode is to reject meet up because it's not the most comfortable thing to do. People have no idea the personal mountain introverts have to climb just to overcome the anxiety of meeting strangers. But I'm very glad I met them up today and didn't switch to my default mode.


This is a great highlight to a great year 2015 - another experience chalked up to my core memory.

5 comments :

Singapore Man of Leisure said...

酒逢知己千杯少

la papillion said...

话不投机半句多 ;)

Rolf Suey said...

Hi LP,

Meeting students, bloggers, clients, or blind dates all different.

Cannot compare one to another!

If male meet female bloggers? Also different!

Sillyinvestor said...

LP

I like the line that comes before yours

浮生难得偷得半日闲

lol

Singapore Man of Leisure said...

Hmm...

I think soon we can start a 吟诗作对 club.

You know, wear silly hats, carry a fan, and just shoot our mouths :)