Saturday, April 25, 2015

The conversation between a caterpillar and a butterfly

Somtimes, the strangest tale comes from the inspiration of fellow bloggers. In this case, SMOL's post on butterflies got me thinking. I'll be the first to admit. This short story below is adapted from another book that I read.




Emile the butterfly floated down to the Francis the caterpillar, who is her friend. But Francis didn't seem to recognise who the butterfly is. I mean, how could anyone blame Francis? Emile looks so beautiful and was floating with the wind! Nothing could be more different than a hairy caterpillar!

"Follow what I do, Francis! You'll be free from your earthly bounds! Oh goodness, why can't Francis understand what I'm saying?!" Emily nearly screamed in exasperation.

Just a few days ago, Emile said goodbye to Francis because she's going on a personal journey.

"Where to?" Francis asked sadly. "Can I tag along please?"

"No, Francis," Emile replied firmly. "This is a personal journey. And I have to go alone. Sorry."

But Francis didn't let Emile go alone. He followed her quietly, and saw Emile crawling up a branch solemnly and started pulling white threads all around herself, until she was fully covered with this white silky tent. Francis was still faithfully waiting for Emile to emerge out from her strange retreat, believing that she just needed some time off for herself. He was there waiting, every single day. But one day, seemingly overnight, Francis noticed that there is an opening at Emile's silky tent. Cautiously, Francis crawled near to it to check if Emile is finally out of her retreat.

There's nobody around.

Except now there's a strange colourful winged creature near Emile’s empty tent. It's floating near to Francis, seemingly trying to tell him something. It landed near to the ground at Francis, and then floated to Emile's empty tent, then again to an empty spot on a branch. This creature repeated the same pattern again and again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is how I 'saw' the conversation between the caterpillar and the butterfly. How would the story end? Would the butterfly give up and join the rest of the butterfly? Would the caterpillar give up and grieve for his lost friend? Or would the caterpillar have an epiphany that he also had to follow the unknown and uncharted path that his friend Emile had hinted him?


Some things just cannot be taught - it had to be experienced. If you had not experienced the transformation, you wouldn't be able to speak the same language as those who had been metamorphosized. You can show others, but you cannot make them change. And yet everyone has the potential to be transformed, if you'll only want it.

12 comments :

Createwealth8888 said...

Some lessons can only be learned from ourselves or from someone who are truly close to us and we will believe them.

Sillyinvestor said...

Perhaps butterfly should give caterpillar time?

But if I may,

B: Let go of your earthly desires, go into this retreat. U will be without food or drink, and during this period helpless against external threats. U cannot run, you cannot hide.

C: thereafter I can fly?

B: yes

C: but I might die from hunger or bad stroke of luck in the process?

B: if u made the necessary prepration, we will do fine. It's our destiny

C: I am not sure if it really is my destiny? I enjoy the leaves more than the flowers that u say is sweeter.

C sounds familiar ...

Singapore Man of Leisure said...

LP,

The caterpillar is all yours!

I've slapped, kicked, and punched him. Even offering him a glass of muddy waters.

I'm done doing the bad cop routine ;)

Sillyinvestor said...

Hmm SMOL, LP

Of course I am more than happy to get your thoughts when we banter.

But seriously, I do not feel "low" as compared to perhaps 2-3 weeks ago. In fact, if you ask me, I am more at peace with myself than 2-3 weeks ago. But I guess my new "eyes" might be considered as energy snapping or draining to others. My apologies for unintended discomfort.

Maybe my view is not as sunshine as before, before when I give my comment, I am quite sure I am not actually lamenting or pandering for sympathy anymore.

la papillion said...

Hi bro8888,

I thought so too. From my work though, I know some people are more iron-teeth and less teachable than the rest. Different people requires different kinds of teacher, I suppose. Some must learn from their own mistakes. Bo bian.

la papillion said...

Hi Si,

Nah, I'm not here to tell others to change. You thought I'm a butterfly meh? I think I'm still at caterpillar stage!

Go ahead and rant if you need to do so. If i can take it, I can always don't read it :) but if you don't have an avenue to voice out, you'll explode (or implode). I think that's worse.

The pt of my story is not really about your negativity also. It's more related to communication Haha! But I guess the funny thing about stories is that they are so robust, they can be interpreted in different ways.

We all see what we want to see.

la papillion said...

Hi SMOL,

Haha, gentle poke here: maybe u can practice the advice given to the water stirrer. Stop stirring the mind of the stirrer. When the mind is settled, the stirrer stops stirring and the water also becomes clear :)



Rolf Suey said...

Hi LP,

U r Ladybird Part-time writer. :-) Cheers!

In early part of my education, I always relate success w a good brain with gd memory, analytical skills etc

Stepped into society, I realized we also need good conversational skills n be versatile. With that, and an inquisitor brain, u grow fastest! Talk n be with people better than u in a particular field, u become better in that field!

Common traits/illness about most pple in meritocracy society is they hate to b around w people more superior than them! Why? Their egos will be torn apart!!! The true word is "inferior!"

More Asians have this illness. The older u get and more senior ur position in career, the more difficult to prescribed medicines to cure this trait!

So the key here is, at least the caterpillar is inquisite enough to follow the Emile. And at least they talked!

la papillion said...

Hi Rolf,

I agree with you! I think part of the fault comes from mixing with people of our own age group. I think if you have a group that is younger than you and older than you, it'll have stories and experiences to share. For the younger ones, the act of mentoring them and giving them advice on the journey you've travelled will benefit both parties. They will also give you fresh perspectives on things that you've taken for granted.

Always mix around! I've a group of good friends I've made through my bullythebear website and it consists of pple from all walks of life, different age groups, different success level, different education level. It's the best thing that happened to me.

Truly, to fly with the eagles, you cannot always be with the turkeys. Mixing with the turkeys makes you look smart, but you'll be forever grounded lol

Singapore Man of Leisure said...

Sillyinvestor,

After the scolding I got from you, you think I got a death wish?

Of course you are neutal now.

I playing with you isn't that's how I've always treated you before you went ballistic on me?

If I were to treat you "differently" from before, now that's distance!

:)

Singapore Man of Leisure said...

LP,

I wasn't stirring Sillyinvestor; I was stirring you ;)

Was curious how you would react if I acted unreasonable in putting you in an awkward position?

Ah! Finally a poke from you! Now I feel balanced :)

CW, temperament, coconut, AK, Sillyinvestor, Rolf all got poked me before.

I was thinking this idiot butterfly never treat me as friend, only treat me as acquaintance...

Now I am cracking my head to return the favour.

Eh? Can you write posts with holes in them? It's damn difficult to poke your posts you know?

Give chance?

la papillion said...

Hi SMOL,

Haha, you crafty grasshopper!

The reason why I don't poke you is also because of the reason why you can't poke me! Your posts are too rounded and too robust to poke!